Home solar is simpler than you think. Once you’ve made up your mind to get off the utility company’s rate-hike roller coaster, switching to solar power is really pretty simple. You say “Yes!” to choosing solar power, and we’ll do the rest, from home solar installation to maintenance and more.
But first, you might be wondering, “How does solar power work?” Glad you asked! Understanding how solar power works is a good place to start when you’re thinking about how to go solar, because even though we all here at The Orange Solar take care of everything from permitting and installation to flipping the on-switch, we want you to feel comfortable every step of the way.
How does home solar power work?
- Solar Panels: Solar panels are made of photovoltaic cells that convert sunlight to direct current electricity (DC electricity). As long as the sun's rays are hitting your roof, rain or shine, your panels are converting solar radiation into DC electricity. But in order to get the kind of power needed to turn the lights on in your living room, you’ll need an inverter.
- Inverter: The inverter is a device that takes the DC electricity produced by your solar panels and turns it into alternating current (AC) electricity. It’s typically installed on an exterior wall of your house or in the garage.
- Orange Solar Meter: Your Orange Solar meter monitors your system production and sends the information to Orange Solar through a wireless signal. Orange Solar tracks your energy production 24/7, and it will automatically alert Orange Solar if it detects problems or irregularities.
- Main Electric Service Panel: Solar electricity from your inverter flows to the electrical panel and then into your home, where it powers your lights and appliances. Or, if you generate more solar energy than you use, it flows into the utility grid while you rake in the solar credits.
- Net Meter: Speaking of solar credits, the net meter measures the amount of electricity you draw from the grid and how much excess solar electricity you push into it. So when you use less electricity than you make, you get credit from the utility company. Sounds pretty sweet, right?
So now that you’re a solar energy expert, the next time somebody asks you, “How does solar power work?” you can tell them how simple it really is. And when you go solar with Orange Solar, you simply sit back and start saving on your electricity bill while we take care of everything. So what are you waiting for? Get started with a free estimate now!